Thursday 15 June 2017

Cupcake Day - Raising Money for the Alzheimers Society

It is Cupcake Day for the Alzheimers Society today and I decided to do a cake sale at work. I made chocolate, lemon and vanilla sponges with buttercream toppings (vanilla and lemon)


A lady I remember very fondly from my childhood is my great Auntie Helen. Auntie Helen was always immaculate and as a young girl I remember thinking when I grew up I would be just like her and only ever wear suits and would have my hair done every day, my fond memories are always of her well put together look!

Sadly dementia took Helen a few years ago and that's why I decided to try to raise a few pounds in her memory.


Cupcakes (makes 12)

110g plain flour
110g caster sugar
110g butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
Vanilla/Lemon essence depending on the flavour sponge you want

*For chocolate cupcakes I substituted 10 g of flour for 30 grams of coco powder and added 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture

Icing
Butter
Icing sugar
(colours and flavours can be added to make any combination you want)

Cupcake cases
Cupcake tin


*Preheat the oven to 175 degrees

1. Place the butter and caster sugar into a bowl and mix together until fluffy

2. In a separate bowl gently whisk the eggs and essence

3. Add the flour and baking powder to the butter and sugar

4. Add the egg mixture and mix thoroughly until smooth

5. Place cupcake cases in a cupcake tin and equally divide the mixture between the cases

6. Put the tin in the oven for 18-20 minutes, avoid opening the door whilst baking

7. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to stand in the tin for a further 10 minutes

8. Buttercream - I do this by taste so start by sieving icing sugar into softened butter mixing as you go, just add enough icing sugar to create a stiff buttercream, tasting as you go. If you are adding essence or colourings do this a little at a time and taste along the way to avoid over flavouring.


I hope the Alzheimers Society raise lots of money for the cause this year 
Happy Cupcake Day to all! 

Until Next Time 
Love
Lucy 
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment