Wednesday 14 June 2017

Felt Flower Fascinator - Craft of the Month

This months craft is a handmade felt fascinator.



Fascinators are currently known to be small headpieces often on clips or slide combs which are decorated and these days are very popular for weddings and celebrations instead of full hats.

However historically a fascinator was actually a snood type garment, often knitted or crochet which women wore in the 19th century and went out of fashion in the 1930's.

I'm making the more modern understanding of a fascinator this month since my knitting skills are slim to none!



I wanted something to go with my Seamstress of Bloomsbury Brenda dress that incorporate the lovely mix of colours, since that's quite specific it made sense to make my own. Fascinators can reach pricey money on the highstreet considering what they actually are!


Making a fascinator 

You will need:
  • Fascinator base, I got mine on ebay cheaply, you might also find things in charity shops that can be deconstructed 
  • Comb or clip to attach to the base
  • Felt 
  • Pencil 
  • Scissors 
  • Needle and thread 


1. Draw out your templates on to the felt, I like to get all the cutting done first so I drew out my flowers and cut them out. I decided to do some double petal flowers and some single.

Since the pattern on the dress doesn't have every flower a uniform shape I just drew the flowers free hand but you can easily find templates online to print out.


I also cut out some green leaves to tie in with the green in the dress and some blue strips of felt to make a kind of berry shape to put in between the flowers. If you look at the print it has these sort of aqua coloured berries. I tied the strips of aqua felt into knots and sewed them behind the flowers. 

2. Once you have cut out your flowers, play around with the placement on your fascinator base before deciding final placement, you want to work right up to the edge of the base so there appears to be some overhang and you cannot see the edges of the base.



3. Start to sew your design into place, if you go wrong there is nothing in this craft that cannot be easily undone! I am using a thick thread since the base of the fascinator has large holes in the mesh.


4. I sewed my flowers into place with a simple cross stitch, you could just as easily use a sequin, small bead or some lovely small buttons instead.

 

5. On the underside of the fascinator I decided the placement of my clip and carefully sewed it on.Be careful to make sure you are sewing the clip the right way. It might not be the neatest sewing in the world but as it's just for me I don't mind!


6. When pulling through the thread for the clip you have to be careful to avoid the flowers. However doing this process the other way around would make sewing the flowers much harder as you'd be working around the clip.

7. There you have it, a completely unique fascinator, you could make these to match almost anything with a little imagination for only a few pounds!



This project is easy to undertake and only requires very basic sewing and could be done in front of the TV!

I hope you enjoyed this post and look forward to next month when I'll be bringing you a 1940's felt brooch that you can make from the leftovers of this project, waste not want not!

Until Next Time
Love
Lucy
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment