Wednesday 18 April 2018

A Homemade Hat from a Pile of Tat

The Facebook memories tool reminded me today that four years ago my obsession with my glue gun began. 

Given that London Hat Week inspired Catherine of Vintage Frills to set me a hat making challenge for later in the summer I thought I'd share with you my first ever attempt at up-cycling from absolute crap that was destined for the bin. 

The problem all started when I ran out of conditioner and was left with this little pot. I'm the kind of person who, as I walk to the bin, thinks "what could I use this for?"


It occurred to me it was the perfect size and shape to be a little hat. The fabric was from a dress I had accidentally ruined with bleach so it needed re-purposing.


Cotton is easiest fabric for projects like this I find. I covered the hat with the fabric using my trusty glue gun.  


It's not rocket science to cover the tub in glue and stick the fabric on, I also did the inside so it looks like a semi professional job! 


I had an odd vintage button lying around doing nothing so that also got a new lease of life in this project. 


A couple of feathers that were in my craft box made a great decoration for this hat. 


I threaded them through the button,it was handy that it had a back like this because it held everything in place neatly. More glue was required to attach this to the hat... 


And voila! One hat from a pile of tat! 


I love the idea of making these for novelty occasions or for those outfits where you just cannot find a matching accessory. Who would know it was a plastic hair conditioner tub?! 

Until next time 
Love 
Lucy 
xx 















No comments:

Post a Comment